South Africa Africa World Business Sport Arts and Entertainment Lifestyle Science & Technology Local News Opinion Multimedia
- Zuma signs defence billPresident Jacob Zuma on Monday signed the Defence Amendment Bill into law.
- SA can’t bring all bodies homeThe government doesn’t have the money to fetch the remains of all the MK members who died in African countries during the apartheid struggle,says kwaZulu-Natal premier Zweli Mkhize.
- 5 killed as car hits cartFive people have been killed when a car crashed into the donkey cart they were riding on
- Human error strands SA submarineThe woes of the Navy's SAS Manthatisi, which has been out of commission for nearly three years, include fuses blown because somebody inserted a plug in the wrong socket.
- Dewani case ‘has ruined my life’A Bothasig family says Zola Tongo, sentenced to 18 years for his part in the Dewani murder, gave police their address as his.
- News24.com | Nigeria collapse toll could change - SA envoyThe death toll in a building collapse in Nigeria could either go up or down as there is a lack of access to information on the ground, SA’s high commissioner in the west African country s...
- News24.com | Nigeria collapse not the first - church websiteA building collapse at The Synagogue Church of All Nations in Nigeria, which killed 67 South Africans, is the fourth such incident for the church, according to information on the church's...
- News24.com | Ipid back decision not to prosecute PhiyegaThe Ipid has expressed support for the NPA following their decision not to prosecute national police commissioner, Riah Phiyega.
- News24.com | Obama: Ebola crisis 'spiralling out of control'President Barack Obama has issued a global call to action to fight West Africa’s Ebola epidemic, warning the deadly outbreak is unprecedented and "spiralling out of control".
- Sport24.co.za | Pienaar out for 4-6 weeksSpringbok scrumhalf Ruan Pienaar will be out of action for approximately four to six weeks with a medial collateral ligament sprain.
Mail & Guardian
- Baleka Mbete's parly position brings the House downOpposition parties staged a walkout following a heated debate where the House was split into two: those for and against the National Assembly speaker.
- Zuma: 67 South Africans dead in Nigeria church collapseSixty-seven South Africans have died in a building collapse at the Synagogue Church of All Nations in Nigeria, President Jacob Zuma said on Tuesday.
- Mugabe says sanctions on Russia must not be allowedZimbabwean President Robert Mugabe voiced his support for Russia, describing Western sanctions against Moscow as "illegal".
- Committee to recommend SABC chair's suspensionParliament's communications portfolio committee has unanimously resolved to recommend the suspension of SABC board chairperson Ellen Tshabalala.
- Maimane: Baleka Mbete puts party before countryLeader of the official opposition Mmusi Maimane has kicked off the debate on the motion of no confidence in National Assembly Speaker Baleka Mbete.
- Dell to buy compellentDell says it has a deal to buy the data storage company Compellent Technologies for $884-million. ||| Dell Inc said on Monday it has a deal to buy the data storage company Compellent Tec...
- BHP Billiton strike still on“We call on our members to intensify their militant action until an acceptable offer is presented by the spoilt golden boys and girls of BHP Billiton,” says Numsa. ||| Nation...
- SA farmers set sights on MozMore South African farmers expect to receive land offers in Mozambique as they seek to expand across Africa amid uncertainty over land reform at home. ||| Olivia Kumwenda Johannesburg - ...
- Gold firms on physical demandGold edged back up above $1,390 an ounce in Europe as last week's price dip of more than 2 percent brought physical buyers back to the market. ||| Jan Harvey London - Gold edged back up ...
- WikiLeaks: world be warnedThose publicising these leaks should understand the potentially dire consequences of their actions, writes Stuart Sterzel. ||| In the ongoing WikiLeaks debate, much has been said about v...
- Zuma delivers third ANC centenary lectureANC President, Jacob Zuma, is delivering the third centenary commemorative lecture.
- Fedusa calls for anti-toll strike boycottThe Federation of Unions of South Africa (Fedusa) has called on all its members to boycott nationwide anti-toll gate protest action.
- Provinces can't pass finance laws: ConcourtProvinces cannot pass their own laws regulating financial management. That is according to a ruling in the Constitutional Court.
- Joburg City to spend R100 bln on infrastructureJohannesburg Mayor Parks Tau has announced that the city will spend R100 billion over the next ten years towards infrastructure development and upgrading.
- NHI pilot districts announcedHealth minister Aaron Motsoaledi has announced the 10 districts where the National Health Insurance (NHI) will be piloted from next month.
- 'Don't add salt to injuries of others': Cosatu on Generations sagaTheir investigation found that the producers of the show lied about paying the actors an average of R55 000 a month.
- White people 'all look the same': WitnessA security guard who could not identify any of the four people accused of beating a former Royal Marine to death admitted in the Durban Regional Court that all white people look the same ...
- ‘We will defend with our buttocks’: MokonyaneWater and Sanitation Minister Nomvula Mokonyane says ANC members and Cabinet ministers will use their buttocks to defend President Jacob Zuma, the Sowetan reported on Monday.
- 'Nkandla garden cost R16m'This information is contained in court papers in the R155 million civil claim against Nkandla architect Minenhle Makhanya, filed in the Pietermaritzburg High Court.
- Khulubuse Zuma weds Swazi princess: ReportPresident Jacob Zuma's nephew, Khulubuse Zuma, married one of his four fiancees on Saturday, Swazi princess Fikisiwe Dlamini, the Sunday Times reported.
- E-toll boycott derails plan for Gautrain passengersMore than R40-billion has been spent but Gauteng transport chiefs are now coming to the realisation that the province's two flagship projects - Gauteng Freeway Improvement Project and Gau...
- 67 SA pilgrims lost in Lagos collapsePresident Jacob Zuma announced last night that 67 South Africans died in a building collapse in Nigeria's financial capital Lagos.
- Schooled in disorderThousands of Western Cape pupils could not write exams due to violent clashes between residents and police yesterday.
- Ipid backs NPA's decision not to prosecute PhiyegaThe Ipid expressed support for the NPA following their decision not to prosecute national police commissioner, Riah Phiyega.
- ANC wins with low blowsThe National Assembly debate on the motion of no confidence in Speaker Baleka Mbete quickly degenerated into mud-slinging yesterday.
The New Age
- US diamond market to shine despite China, India growth: De BeersThe United States is likely to remain the world's largest market for diamonds for the next 15 years despite a growing appetite for the gems from Ch
- Obama to huddle with generals planning IS assaultPresident Barack Obama meets Wednesday with generals planning his assault against the Islamic State group in Syria and Iraq as he wraps up a two-day
- China injects 81 billion dollars into banksChina's central bank is injecting 500 billion yuan (81 billion dollars) into the nation's five major state-run commercial banks to bolst
- Brazil election may change diplomatic directionMore than a decade of Workers Party rule has seen Brazil prioritize ties with its leftist regional neighbors, from helping muscle socialist Venezuela
- Alleged match-fixing kingpin challenges detentionA Singaporean businessman suspected of running a global football match-fixing syndicate has filed a legal challenge against his nearly year long dete
- Citypress.co.za | CITY PRESS NOTICE!This App is no longer being updated. Please visit http://CityPress.co.za from your mobile device or tablet to get your daily dose of fresh City Press Content.
- Citypress.co.za | Cato Manor: KZN Hawks boss Johan Booysen arrestedMajor-General Johan Booysen, head of the Hawks in KZN, has been arrested.
- Citypress.co.za | DA MP Mnqasela apologises, charges to be droppedApology for Mazibuko remarks deemed sufficient.
- Citypress.co.za | DA’s Zuma court battle set to go aheadThe Democratic Alliance’s battle to ensure that President Jacob Zuma has his day in court is set to go ahead.
- Citypress.co.za | Selebi back in hospitalFormer police commissioner Jackie Selebi is back in hospital after suffering dialysis complications.
- The youth on Youth DayYouth Day means many things to South Africans, so we stepped out and let them have their say!
- Boks building a fortress in SAThe Springboks are aiming to become unbeatable on South African soil, says Jean de Villiers.
- Pirate parties ready for EUPirate Party representatives from more than 20 countries met to discuss 2014 EU polls.
- Mulder riles Parly on land issueThe deputy agriculture minister suggested that black people had no historical claim to 40 percent of SA.
- SA should know - MbekiThabo Mbeki says that South Africans deserved to know hidden facts about the country's history.
- India may lose Sehwag, Gambhir for one-dayersCopyright AFP All rights reserved. This material may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without prior permission in writing from AFP.
- Neeskens defends Moriri after costly penaltyBy Sbu H Mjikeliso Sundowns coach Johannes Neeskens has defended Surprise Moriri who conceded a late penalty when he brought down Tlou Segolela in the box that allowed Orlando Pirates to ...
- Clarity Would Like To Thank NewsTime ReadersI'd like to take a moment to thank our readers, the most important part of our NewsTime ecosystem. We were obsessed with you. In the early days of NewsTime I used to literally watch the t...
- Norway Police Search For Camera Maybe Used To Film MassacreNorwegian police said Friday they were looking for a video camera that rightwing extremist Anders Behring Breivik reportedly used on July 22 to film his attacks that killed 77 people. The...
- NewsTime Has Now Stopped Updating Its SiteAs confirmed to readers on the 3rd of August 2011 NewsTime will be closing down today. In order to assist you, in the unlikely event that there should be a declaration of World War III we...
- Egypt: Govt-U.S. Standoff Could Hit 40,000 NGOs[IPS] Cairo - The ongoing crackdown by Egypt's military rulers on a handful of civil society groups accused of receiving illegal foreign funds has far-reaching implications for the estima...
- Somalia: Al Shabaab Wants Girls to Join War[Monitor] Sheikh Fu'ad Mohamed Khalaf Shongole, the chief of awareness raising of al-Shabaab, the radical Islamist group opposing the Transitional Federal Government of Somalia, has insis...
- Kenya: Military to Benefit From U.S. Aid[Nation] The Kenya military is set to benefit from the United States financial assistance once it is fully integrated into the African Union Mission in Somalia (Amisom), an envoy has said.
- Madagascar: Experts Question Country's Bid to Tap Wind Energy[SciDev.Net] Antananarivo - Madagascar is aiming to plug its energy gap and reduce its carbon emissions by encouraging a major investment in large-scale wind-turbines, the country's inter...
- Liberia: Petroleum Body Confirms Oil Discovery[New Dawn] Officials at the National Oil Company of Liberia (NOCAL) announced Tuesday that they welcomed pronouncement by African Petroleum that its Narina-1 exploratory well drilled in B...
- Empowerment firms fail to supply ARVsGovernment has had to go back to local pharmaceutical giants Aspen Pharmacare, Adcock Ingram and Cipla Medpro for the supply of anti retroviral (ARV) drugs to HIV/Aids patients.
- Rubbish removal - Pikitup busy with an interim solutionTrash piles up on Jo’burg pavements,
- Deal of the week - Edcon sells R10bn debtors book to AbsaIn a move aimed at easing its debilitating debt burden, Edcon has resorted to an unusual course for a credit retailer: selling its entire debtors book.
- Tech review - Samsung Galaxy S3Samsung says its recently launched third-generation Galaxy S smartphone is “designed for humans”.
- Entrepreneur - Zanele Bridgette GasaZanele Bridgette Gasa, the youngest member of the national planning commission, recently completed her PhD in construction management at the Nelson Mandela Metropolitan University, which ...
- China warns of "humanitarian disaster" in LibyaChina warned of a "humanitarian disaster" in Libya and expressed "deep concern" at reported civilian casualties as it renewed calls on Tuesday for an end to fighting in the North African ...
- NY Times journalists released from Libyan custodyLibya released four New York Times journalists on Monday, nearly a week after they had been captured by Libyan forces while covering the conflict there, although three journalists for oth...
- California panel weighs nuclear safety after quakeState lawmakers called on California utilities Monday to delay efforts to relicense nuclear power plants until the companies complete detailed seismic maps to get a true picture of the ri...
- Venezuelan official: swine flu kills 1A Venezuelan government official says one person has died of swine flu and six others have been diagnosed with the virus.
- Kenya rangers care for 3 abandoned hyena cubsThe tiny hyena sucking on Dr. Kariuki Edward's gloved finger will be able to bite through steel and crack open bones when it grows up.
- SAPS investigates three over $9.3m cash seizureThree foreign nationals being investigated after they try to bring cash into SA illegally, reportedly to buy arms
- OECD slashes growth forecasts, urges aggressive ECB actionOECD urges much more aggressive ECB stimulus to ward off risk of deflation in a subdued eurozone
- DBSA returns to profitability with disbursement recordDevelopment Bank of Southern Africa says disbursements supported infrastructure projects in SA, Southern African Development Community
- GALLERY: Oscar Pistorius judgmentJudge convicts Oscar Pistorius of culpable homicide in the killing of his girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp and allows him to remain out on bail until sentencing
- Preference for small business not productiveSmall business is big business, if new Small Business Development Minister Lindiwe Zulu is taken seriously, writes Leon Louw
- Home Affairs: Travelling parents have time to prepareMalusi Gigaba says parents must apply well in advance for their children’s unabridged birth certificates.
- Kasrils demands apology from MaphatsoeRonnie Kasrils has accused Kebby Maphatsoe of lying to the public to prove his loyalty to Jacob Zuma.
- SABC board chairperson faces suspensionRecommendations to have Ellen Tshabalala suspended await approval today.
- Police monitor Grabouw after violent protestsPolice will continue monitoring Grabouw following violent protests over the past two days.
- 'Sanral is hiding something'Zwelenzima Vavi says Sanral has no respect for public views after it refused to take part in the e-toll panel.
- Opposition motion against Baleka Mbete a laughable stunt - SACPParty says the opposition's action against Speaker, by an unprincipled regime change coalition, is doomed to failure
- Another Mpumalanga farm attack not investigated - AfriForumIan Cameron says Thomas Opperman was attacked on his farm in Ermelo this week, is still waiting for the SAPS to arrive at the scene
- UCT up four spots in QS World University Rankings - UCTUniversity says it placed 141st in the 2014/2015 ranking cycle, up from 145th the year before
- DA leads opposition walk-out - Mmusi MaimaneDA PL says this was after the ANC moved to amend Motion of No Confidence in Speaker Baleka Mbete
- The terms of the 2014 clothing industry wage settlement - SACTWUUnion says for metro areas total labour cost increase will be 8%, for non-metro B areas total package increases will be 10,5%
- Thabo Mbeki: “The relationship between African and its ex-colonizers is illegal!”Charity begins at home, and Africans need to take the first bold steps to deal with problems affecting them instead of depending on the west. Former South African President, Thabo Mbeki's...
- South Africa: 40 years sentence, the heavy price for a rhinoceros' horn trader!
- South Africa mines strike continues
- Striking miners urge to return to work.
- South Africa rapper Maarohanye convicted for murder
- Kenya and the international court: Off the hook?Kenyatta’s prospects brighten THE two leading Kenyans facing prosecution at the International Criminal Court (ICC) at The Hague were once mortal enemies whose followers killed each other...
- Social media in Saudi Arabia: A virtual revolutionPeople of the Facebook TUNE into one of Saudi Arabia’s television channels and you are likely to find a stuffy report praising the government or a sheikh spinning a dreary sermon. Little...
- South Africa: Spy v spyHELEN ZILLE, leader of South Africa’s opposition Democratic Alliance (DA), emerged from a Pretoria court on September 4th claiming victory. In her hands were audio recordings (pictured) ...
- Yemen: Who’s Houthi?IF YOU were a tribe in Yemen and fancied a road or a school or the release of someone from prison, the tried and tested method in the past was to snatch a hostage or two. Usually the gov...
- Somalia: Shabab decapitationON SEPTEMBER 1st American aircraft, both manned and unmanned, unleashed a volley of missiles and bombs on a convoy of vehicles close to the coastal city of Barawe in southern Somalia (se...
CNN - Africa
- The tech geeks transforming learningFresh faced and full of energy, five digital natives from five very different African nations have banded together to create a new online education platform hoping to change the continent...
- Fashion designer shoots for the starsNaledi means "star" in Tswana, one of the languages spoken in Botswana. So when Kemi Kalikawe gave her lifestyle store that name, she decided to add a sparkle to her business.
- Designer turns nature into blingIt takes a lot of guts to choose jewelry design over a career in medicine, but then, Janet Fredman isn't the kind of woman to shy away from challenges.
- What it meant to be black in 1960sPhotographer Ernest Cole made it his life mission to capture the injustice of apartheid in South Africa.
- Zambian doctor helps teen momsNeurosurgeon Kachinga Sichizya talks about caring for newborns and mothers from underprivileged backgrounds.
BBC News - Africa
- Ebola global security threat - ObamaUS President Barack Obama calls the Ebola outbreak in West Africa a threat to security worldwide while announcing a larger US role, including 3,000 troops, to help fight the virus.
- South Sudan bans foreign workersSouth Sudan government issues an order to non-governmental organisations and private firms to fire foreign workers by mid-October amid an aid crisis.
- Nigerian bank robbery nets millionsNigerian police in Abuja are seeking an IT worker alleging he helped to steal £25m from the bank where he worked.
- VIDEO: Northern Nigeria emir speaks to BBCIn his first interview since becoming emir of Kano, Muhammad Sanusi II tells the BBC how the Islamist insurgency should be tackled.
- Pistorius judge 'threats concern'Some legal groups in South Africa express concern over threats directed at the judge who found Oscar Pistorius guilty of culpable homicide and not murder.
The Telegraph - South Africa
- Judge who found Oscar Pistorius not guilty of murder under police protectionOfficers from notoriously fierce Tactical Response Team guarding Judge Thokozile Masipa's home following threats
- Muslim academic gets death threats over women and gay-friendly mosqueMuslim behind Cape Town's Open Mosque project, where women will lead prayers and gays will be welcome, receives death threats
- Shadow of OJ Simpson falls over Oscar Pistorius after acquittal for murderParallels between the two sporting superstars' trials fuel anger in South Africa over 'culpable homicide' verdict
- Oscar Pistorius: Financial ruin or a return to riches?The six-month murder trial of Oscar Pistorius is thought to have cost well over £700,000, and forced the former golden boy of South African sport to sell his homes - but can he ever recou...
- Oscar Pistorius trial: Mandela would be proud of Judge Thokozile MasipaThe black woman who so fairly sat in judgment on Oscar Pistorius has a story just as inspiring as his, says Matthew Norman
The Guardian - South Africa
- Why South Africa is disappointed by the Pistorius verdictAnalysis: we thought justice for Reeva Steenkamp would somehow bring justice for other ills in society. Now weve realised it wont, writes Ranjeni Munusamy Why was South Africa so stunned...
- Jacob Zuma's wives clash after turning up for same TV interviewSouth African president's third and fourth wives lost their temper and refused to take part in SABC show, newspaper reports To upset one of the president's wives may be regarded as a misf...
- Should Oscar Pistorius be allowed to compete at the Rio 2016 Paralympics? | PollOscar Pistorius would be allowed to return to Paralympic sport, according to the International Paralympic Committee. Should he be able to return to his athletics career following his conv...
- The Pistorius case proves that race still colours justice in our rainbow nationSeeing a black judge presiding over the trial was a source of pride. But for some, the verdict has reopened old suspicions Throughout the Oscar Pistorius trial, Judge Thokozile Masipa sto...
- Pistorius plans money-spinning book as girlfriend's family head homeAfter being convicted of culpable homicide, the Paralympian's story of a tragic night could be a global bestseller Oscar Pistorius plans to write a book giving his account of what happene...
Reuters - South Africa
- BRIEF-Famous Brands says extends partnership with Total South Africa* Famous Brands And Total South Africa Extend Partnership
- BRIEF-Accelerate FC Fund says Michael family offers shares to institutional investors* Michael family trust is launching accelerated bookbuild offering of up to 27,344,829 Accelerate shares to qualifying institutional investors
- South African Markets - Factors to watch on Sept 17The following company announcements, scheduled economic indicators, debt and currency market moves and political events may affect South African markets on Wednesday.
- Rugby-Skelton's progress a weighty matter for WallabiesSYDNEY, Sept 17 (Reuters) - When Will Skelton, all 137-kgs of him, rumbled over France flanker Fulgence Ouedraogo to score a try in a sparkling test debut in June, it looked like the 22-y...
- DIARY-South Africa corporate events to Dec 2014This diary of South African corporate events is updated every business day. If you would like to contribute corporate events, please email email@example.com. For Southern & S...