South Africa Africa World Business Sport Arts and Entertainment Lifestyle Science & Technology Local News Opinion Multimedia
- Zuma signs defence billPresident Jacob Zuma on Monday signed the Defence Amendment Bill into law.
- SA can’t bring all bodies homeThe government doesn’t have the money to fetch the remains of all the MK members who died in African countries during the apartheid struggle,says kwaZulu-Natal premier Zweli Mkhize.
- 5 killed as car hits cartFive people have been killed when a car crashed into the donkey cart they were riding on
- Human error strands SA submarineThe woes of the Navy's SAS Manthatisi, which has been out of commission for nearly three years, include fuses blown because somebody inserted a plug in the wrong socket.
- Dewani case ‘has ruined my life’A Bothasig family says Zola Tongo, sentenced to 18 years for his part in the Dewani murder, gave police their address as his.
- Fin24.com | LIVE: Govt headcount to be frozen - NeneFinance Minister Nhlanhla Nene says SA needs economic growth amid low tax revenue.
- Fin24.com | Budget in a nutshellFinance Minister Nhlanhla Nene has tabled a tough Medium Term Budget Policy Statement in parliament, which will not be good news for everybody.
- Fin24.com | Education to get biggest slice of budgetary pieSpending on post school education will grow faster than any other government programme over the next three years, says Finance Minister Nhlanhla Nene.
- Fin24.com | Mini budget makes provision for EbolaThe mini budget has set aside R32.6m for the department of health for Ebola control and prevention measures, including support for affected countries.
- News24.com | LIVE: Dewani defence ripping into SAPS expertGet the latest updates live from the Western Cape High Court where UK businessman, Shrien Dewani, is on trial for plotting the murder of his wife Anni in 2010.
Mail & Guardian
- Cracks in Cosatu down to divided leadership, says ANCDifferences of opinion and divisions in Cosatu cannot be resolved through elections or by axing members, an ANC-led task team has found.
- The Oscar media circus - something we all wantedThe South African media chose to sensationalise the Oscar Pistorius trial because that's what the public wanted (and secretly, so did the news media).
- No update on the return of bodies from Nigeria church collapseDespite reports of bodies of 84 South Africans who died in a Nigerian church collapse being returned by the end of October, details are still unclear.
- Social audit raises issues around the right to sanitationThe City of Cape Town's response to a social audit of janitorial services for toilets in Khayelitsha is disturbing, writes Sandra Liebenberg.
- ANC vs Muthambi plays out at parliamentary committeeTensions between ruling party MPs and Communications Minister Faith Muthambi - who have been at odds since her appointment - have resurfaced.
- Dell to buy compellentDell says it has a deal to buy the data storage company Compellent Technologies for $884-million. ||| Dell Inc said on Monday it has a deal to buy the data storage company Compellent Tec...
- BHP Billiton strike still on“We call on our members to intensify their militant action until an acceptable offer is presented by the spoilt golden boys and girls of BHP Billiton,” says Numsa. ||| Nation...
- SA farmers set sights on MozMore South African farmers expect to receive land offers in Mozambique as they seek to expand across Africa amid uncertainty over land reform at home. ||| Olivia Kumwenda Johannesburg - ...
- Gold firms on physical demandGold edged back up above $1,390 an ounce in Europe as last week's price dip of more than 2 percent brought physical buyers back to the market. ||| Jan Harvey London - Gold edged back up ...
- WikiLeaks: world be warnedThose publicising these leaks should understand the potentially dire consequences of their actions, writes Stuart Sterzel. ||| In the ongoing WikiLeaks debate, much has been said about v...
- Zuma delivers third ANC centenary lectureANC President, Jacob Zuma, is delivering the third centenary commemorative lecture.
- Fedusa calls for anti-toll strike boycottThe Federation of Unions of South Africa (Fedusa) has called on all its members to boycott nationwide anti-toll gate protest action.
- Provinces can't pass finance laws: ConcourtProvinces cannot pass their own laws regulating financial management. That is according to a ruling in the Constitutional Court.
- Joburg City to spend R100 bln on infrastructureJohannesburg Mayor Parks Tau has announced that the city will spend R100 billion over the next ten years towards infrastructure development and upgrading.
- NHI pilot districts announcedHealth minister Aaron Motsoaledi has announced the 10 districts where the National Health Insurance (NHI) will be piloted from next month.
- No new govt guarantees for EskomGovernment will not be extending any new debt guarantees for Eskom, Finance Minister Nhlanhla Nene announced on Wednesday.
- 'Premier Senzo Mchunu must remove 'sweetheart' from office'KwaZulu-Natal premier Senzo Mchunu must remove his wife from her post as uThungulu district mayor, the IFP demanded on Wednesday.
- Policies not followed in ministry appointment: PSCDepartmental policies and procedures are not being used when appointments are made in government ministries, the Public Service Commission said on Wednesday.
- Alberton trucker previously acquitted of culpable homicideThe driver accused of killing three people when his truck ploughed into 48 vehicles in Alberton, was previously acquitted of culpable homicide, the Palm Ridge Magistrate's Court heard on ...
- I'm not guilty: Alberton driverThe driver whose truck ploughed into almost 50 vehicles, killing three people, believes he is not guilty, the Palm Ridge Magistrate's Court heard on Wednesday.
- State to sell 'non-core' assetsGovernment is compiling a list of all the state-owned enterprises it is planning to sell. Eskom is not one of them.
- Love thy neighbour? Easier said than doneProperty consultant Godfrey Hlaele lived in peace in his Erasmuskloof home in Pretoria East until a "neighbour from hell" moved in four years ago.
- Watch: Obama responds to jealous boyfriend at voting boothThe suave President Barack Obama side-stepped an awkward situation at the voting booth in Chicago, after a young man walked by and warned him "don't touch my girlfriend." The girlfriend, ...
- Close friend reveals another side of ReevaIntimate photographs of Reeva Steenkamp show her life through the eyes of a close friend - as Oscar Pistorius begins his sentence of five years' imprisonment.
- Bloemfontein principal sacked over class display of Malema alongside monkeysThe principal of Wilgehof Primary in Bloemfontein, where the old South African flag and pictures of Julius Malema alongside monkeys were displayed in a class, has been fired, according to...
The New Age
- Pope Francis plays long game to reform Catholic ChurchAfter winning praise around the world for his fresh and open style, the honeymoon period seems to be over for Pope Francis.
- Brazil's Rousseff pulls ahead of Neves as election nearsBrazilian President Dilma Rousseff pulled ahead of opposition candidate Aecio Neves in another poll on Wednesday and looks like a slight favorite head
- Dewani watches shooting videosBritish businessman Shrien Dewani did not flinch on Wednesday morning as the Western Cape High Court was shown police videos re-enacting the shooting
- Hungary plans new tax on Internet traffic, public calls for rallyHungary plans to impose a new tax on Internet data transfers, a draft 2015 tax bill submitted to parliament late on Tuesday showed, in a move that cou
- South Africa sees slightly wider budget shortfall, growth depressedSouth Africa downgraded its economic growth and budget deficit forecasts for this year on Wednesday, but vowed to keep a tight grip on spending to avo
- Citypress.co.za | CITY PRESS NOTICE!This App is no longer being updated. Please visit http://CityPress.co.za from your mobile device or tablet to get your daily dose of fresh City Press Content.
- Citypress.co.za | Cato Manor: KZN Hawks boss Johan Booysen arrestedMajor-General Johan Booysen, head of the Hawks in KZN, has been arrested.
- Citypress.co.za | DA MP Mnqasela apologises, charges to be droppedApology for Mazibuko remarks deemed sufficient.
- Citypress.co.za | DA’s Zuma court battle set to go aheadThe Democratic Alliance’s battle to ensure that President Jacob Zuma has his day in court is set to go ahead.
- Citypress.co.za | Selebi back in hospitalFormer police commissioner Jackie Selebi is back in hospital after suffering dialysis complications.
- The youth on Youth DayYouth Day means many things to South Africans, so we stepped out and let them have their say!
- Boks building a fortress in SAThe Springboks are aiming to become unbeatable on South African soil, says Jean de Villiers.
- Pirate parties ready for EUPirate Party representatives from more than 20 countries met to discuss 2014 EU polls.
- Mulder riles Parly on land issueThe deputy agriculture minister suggested that black people had no historical claim to 40 percent of SA.
- SA should know - MbekiThabo Mbeki says that South Africans deserved to know hidden facts about the country's history.
- India may lose Sehwag, Gambhir for one-dayersCopyright AFP All rights reserved. This material may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without prior permission in writing from AFP.
- Neeskens defends Moriri after costly penaltyBy Sbu H Mjikeliso Sundowns coach Johannes Neeskens has defended Surprise Moriri who conceded a late penalty when he brought down Tlou Segolela in the box that allowed Orlando Pirates to ...
- Clarity Would Like To Thank NewsTime ReadersI'd like to take a moment to thank our readers, the most important part of our NewsTime ecosystem. We were obsessed with you. In the early days of NewsTime I used to literally watch the t...
- Norway Police Search For Camera Maybe Used To Film MassacreNorwegian police said Friday they were looking for a video camera that rightwing extremist Anders Behring Breivik reportedly used on July 22 to film his attacks that killed 77 people. The...
- NewsTime Has Now Stopped Updating Its SiteAs confirmed to readers on the 3rd of August 2011 NewsTime will be closing down today. In order to assist you, in the unlikely event that there should be a declaration of World War III we...
- Egypt: Govt-U.S. Standoff Could Hit 40,000 NGOs[IPS] Cairo - The ongoing crackdown by Egypt's military rulers on a handful of civil society groups accused of receiving illegal foreign funds has far-reaching implications for the estima...
- Somalia: Al Shabaab Wants Girls to Join War[Monitor] Sheikh Fu'ad Mohamed Khalaf Shongole, the chief of awareness raising of al-Shabaab, the radical Islamist group opposing the Transitional Federal Government of Somalia, has insis...
- Kenya: Military to Benefit From U.S. Aid[Nation] The Kenya military is set to benefit from the United States financial assistance once it is fully integrated into the African Union Mission in Somalia (Amisom), an envoy has said.
- Madagascar: Experts Question Country's Bid to Tap Wind Energy[SciDev.Net] Antananarivo - Madagascar is aiming to plug its energy gap and reduce its carbon emissions by encouraging a major investment in large-scale wind-turbines, the country's inter...
- Liberia: Petroleum Body Confirms Oil Discovery[New Dawn] Officials at the National Oil Company of Liberia (NOCAL) announced Tuesday that they welcomed pronouncement by African Petroleum that its Narina-1 exploratory well drilled in B...
- Empowerment firms fail to supply ARVsGovernment has had to go back to local pharmaceutical giants Aspen Pharmacare, Adcock Ingram and Cipla Medpro for the supply of anti retroviral (ARV) drugs to HIV/Aids patients.
- Rubbish removal - Pikitup busy with an interim solutionTrash piles up on Jo’burg pavements,
- Deal of the week - Edcon sells R10bn debtors book to AbsaIn a move aimed at easing its debilitating debt burden, Edcon has resorted to an unusual course for a credit retailer: selling its entire debtors book.
- Tech review - Samsung Galaxy S3Samsung says its recently launched third-generation Galaxy S smartphone is “designed for humans”.
- Entrepreneur - Zanele Bridgette GasaZanele Bridgette Gasa, the youngest member of the national planning commission, recently completed her PhD in construction management at the Nelson Mandela Metropolitan University, which ...
- China warns of "humanitarian disaster" in LibyaChina warned of a "humanitarian disaster" in Libya and expressed "deep concern" at reported civilian casualties as it renewed calls on Tuesday for an end to fighting in the North African ...
- NY Times journalists released from Libyan custodyLibya released four New York Times journalists on Monday, nearly a week after they had been captured by Libyan forces while covering the conflict there, although three journalists for oth...
- California panel weighs nuclear safety after quakeState lawmakers called on California utilities Monday to delay efforts to relicense nuclear power plants until the companies complete detailed seismic maps to get a true picture of the ri...
- Venezuelan official: swine flu kills 1A Venezuelan government official says one person has died of swine flu and six others have been diagnosed with the virus.
- Kenya rangers care for 3 abandoned hyena cubsThe tiny hyena sucking on Dr. Kariuki Edward's gloved finger will be able to bite through steel and crack open bones when it grows up.
- Taste targets wealthy consumers in Arthur Kaplan Jewellers dealAims at satisfying demand for luxury Swiss watches in subequatorial Africa
- Amended BEE act to come into effect in October, says DaviesNew office of BEE commissioner to be established and will be expected to deal with issues of fronting, says trade minister
- Elders question Nigerian claims of a ceasefireLack of detail about agreement and complaints of exclusion by community leaders are fuelling scepticism about prospects of an end to five-year rebellion
- EDITORIAL: Time for SA to start savingCountry's dismal savings rate is one of lowest in world
- Rebasing GDP is set to boost SA’s financial ratiosEvery five years Stats SA rebases and rebenchmarks the national accounts figures to bring them up to date, writes Hilary Joffe
- 'You' editor apologises for cancer campaignThe magazine's campaign received widespread criticism for its insensitivity.
- KZN police nab criminal on most-wanted listThe 45-year-old suspect has been linked to murders from as far back as 2008.
- Hong Kong protesters march after fruitless talksProtesters were unhappy about what they felt was a lack of substantive concessions.
- Oscar de la Renta's gorgeous gowns at a glanceThe legendary designer, who passed away at the age of 82, will live on through his memorable designs.
- African rivalries weaken UN hand against rebels in DRCAhead of a January deadline set by regional leaders, not one Hutu rebel had laid down his weapon.
- Our drivers have a death wishRhoda Kadalie on the chaos and carnage on South Africa's roads
- South Africa's cult of mediocrityRW Johnson responds to Jonathan Jansen's article "Meritocracy is still a myth"
- Taxes may have to be raised soon, govt's wage bill can't increase - Nhlanhla NeneFinance minister says that if govt is to avoid reducing expenditure in real terms, about R15bn a year in additional revenue will need to be brought in
- "Poke muthi madness!" - Daily Sun"Cops rescue woman who wanted to use magic to steal her boss' hubby..." - front page lead, October 22 2014
- Michael Wolfers: Hiding the truths about AfricaPaul Trewhela on the role played by the late British journalist in suppressing the truth about the 1977 Nitista massacre in Angola
- Thabo Mbeki: “The relationship between African and its ex-colonizers is illegal!”Charity begins at home, and Africans need to take the first bold steps to deal with problems affecting them instead of depending on the west. Former South African President, Thabo Mbeki's...
- South Africa: 40 years sentence, the heavy price for a rhinoceros' horn trader!
- South Africa mines strike continues
- Striking miners urge to return to work.
- South Africa rapper Maarohanye convicted for murder
- Syria: Tough, but bowingFROM the presidential palace on a hill above Damascus, the outlook seems rosier of late, despite the vista of flattened suburbs and the rumbling of bombs and mortars below. Defections fr...
- The Shia in Saudi Arabia: The sword unsheathedAT A time when Saudi Arabia’s aged rulers worry about their Sunni-majority population being inspired by the jihadists of Islamic State (IS), it would hardly seem wise to antagonise the S...
- Slavery in Islam: To have and to holdDoing it by the book THE holy book is clear about what to do when you capture a city: “Put to the sword all the men in it”. As for the women and children, “You may take these as plunder ...
- The status of Jerusalem: A mount of troublesBEFORE the gates of the Dome of the Rock, a resplendent golden Muslim shrine built on the ruins of what Jews believe was their biblical temple, the besuited deputy speaker of Israel’s pa...
- South African politics: Shaking the kaleidoscopeZuma feels the squeeze THE mighty African National Congress (ANC), which has held sway since South Africa held its first democratic elections two decades ago, is a wounded giant. A reali...
CNN - Africa
- The chic allure of the "Afro-dandies"Combining colorful African patterns and textures with western accessories, House of Tayo produces striking bow ties, pocket squares and infinite scarfs.
- Can this 'smart jacket' save lives?On the bustling streets of Nairobi, hundreds of motorcyclists are weaving in and out of the already congested traffic. Without fear of incident, countless drivers put themselves at risk e...
- Meet 12 brilliant entrepreneurs under 22Africa, where 70% of the population is under the age of 30, is buzzing with business ideas and innovative spirit -- but who are the continent's brightest young entrepreneurs?
- Iconic style of Nigerian womenThrough a variety of exhibitions including one signed off by the photographer himself, Nigeria is presenting J.D. Okhai Ojeikere to the world one last time.
- Finance trailblazer empowers womenStarting a business is never easy, but in Tanzania, the obstacles for women can be particularly fierce. Few women hold land titles, and as a result, many don't have the necessary collater...
BBC News - Africa
- WHO crisis team holds Ebola talksThe World Health Organization's emergency committee is holding talks on travel restrictions and screening measures on the Ebola outbreak.
- DR Congo doctor wins Sakharov prizeA doctor from the Democratic Republic of Congo wins Europe's Sakharov human rights prize for helping thousands of gang rape victims.
- Slumbering lions win top photo prizeA black and white image of lions resting on a rock outcrop in the Serengeti has won the 2014 Wildlife Photographer of the Year award.
- Somali teenager 'stoned to death'An Islamic court has stoned an 18-year-old to death in southern Somalia after convicting him of raping a woman, a pro-Islamist news site reports.
- Anni Dewani 'shot from front of car'A ballistics expert claims Anni Dewani died on her honeymoon from a single bullet fired from the front seat of a taxi.
The Telegraph - South Africa
- Reeva Steenkamp's parents: 'We're not looking for vengeance'The parents of Reeva Steenkamp, who was killed by Oscar Pistorius on Valentine's Day last year, say they are "settled" with the prison sentence for the athlete
- Steenkamps: we have to accept Oscar Pistorius's sentenceThe parents of Reeva Steenkamp insist they do not want "revenge" against Oscar Pistorius, but feel that justice was not done after the disgraced South African athlete was handed a five-ye...
- Oscar Pistorius may be free in 10 months despite five-year sentenceFormer athlete could serve just one sixth of his sentence before being considered for period of house arrest
- Oscar Pistorius handed five-year jail sentenceOscar Pistorius, the South African Olympic and Paralympic athlete, has been sentenced to five years in prison for the manslaughter of his girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp on Valentine's Day 2013
- Oscar Pistorius sentencing: latestFormer Paralympian sentenced to five years in prison for the manslaughter of Reeva Steenkamp on Valentine's Day 2013 as it emerges he could serve as little as ten months
The Guardian - South Africa
- Oscar Pistorius jailed for five years for culpable homicide of Reeva SteenkampJudge: non-custodial sentence would send wrong message Athlete eligible to be considered for parole Uncle indicates Pistorius will not appeal Live blog: reaction to Oscar Pistorius senten...
- Disabled inmates in Oscar Pistorius prison speak out against poor treatmentAt Kgosi Mampuru II jail in Pretoria where the Paralympian was sent on Tuesday, inmates with disabilities tell Daily Maverick of the daily hardships they face The day before Oscar Pistor...
- Reeva Steenkamp's parents: only Oscar Pistorius knows truth about shooting videoThe parents of Reeva Steenkamp say they accept the sentence of Oscar Pistorius for the killing of their daughter, but say there is 'more to the whole story'. Barry and June Steenkamp spea...
- Oscar Pistorius jailed for five years but short sentence fiercely criticisedOutrage on social media as defence lawyers for disgraced Paralympian seek his release into house arrest after 10 months The last the world saw of Oscar Pistorius on Tuesday was a sombre f...
- Oscar Pistoriuss trial shows that this society lauds men who act before they think | Margie OrfordReeva Steenkamp was shot by accident, the judge decided. But Oscar Pistorius never took full responsibility for his actions Judge Masipa found Oscar Pistorius guilty of culpable homicide...
Reuters - South Africa
- UPDATE 1-South Africa sees slightly wider budget shortfall, growth depressed* Government to rein in budget spending to avoid downgrades (Adds growth forecasts, details, background)
- UPDATE 1-Rugby-No Ashton or Cipriani as Lancaster names England squadLONDON, Oct 22 (Reuters) - Saracens winger Chris Ashton has missed out on Stuart Lancaster's England squad for the autumn rugby internationals, along with Manu Tuilagi, Danny Cipriani and...
- S.Africa's Abil to re-list early next year- Finmin NeneCAPE TOWN, Oct 22 (Reuters) - Failed South African lender African Bank Investments (Abil) is likely to re-list on the stock exchange early next year, and its government supervision will b...
- HIGHLIGHTS-South Africa's medium term budget highlightsCAPE TOWN, Oct 22 (Reuters) - South African Finance Minister Nhlanhla Nene released his medium term budget policy statement on Wednesday. Following are highlights:
- South Africa cuts growth forecasts as strikes, power cuts weighCAPE TOWN, Oct 22 (Reuters) - South Africa slashed its 2014 growth expectations for the second time this year on Wednesday, with the Treasury forecasting expansion of just 1.4 percent as ...